Saturday, January 30, 2010

How Much Learner Engagement is Too Much?

I am a staunch advocate for the distance learning environment. Learner engagement is a critical component accomplishing success within the online learning environment. I will be the first to admit that I am not always swift to carry out the online discussions and other collaborative projects; however, for the most part, I enjoy the experience and love the interaction with my professors and my learning community.

Very recently I discovered a dear colleague of mine excused herself from the online learning environment. At first, I was taken aback by her decision: she was the "perfect candidate" for the distance learning experience. She insisted that the online learning environment was something that appealed to her for the same reasons it appealed to me: no confides of time/space, no desire to travel to and from a physical edifice, interactions with individuals outside of our geographical area, and the opportunity to connect with professionals beyond our borders.

I had the opportunity, this week, to have a conversation with her on her decision. To my utter surprise, her answer: too much learner engagement. She complained about the frequency of discussion posts, as well as the frequency of assignments that were to be completed within a given week. Her home life (she had two children ages 9 and 10, and a husband)is filled with too many activities for her to participate in an online environment. According to her way of thinking, distance learning programs are for individuals whose home life doesn't include school children, or for older individuals who have the time to become involved in "such heavy engagement". I balked at her notion: many of my learning colleagues lead very full lives and yet, find the time to engage in all learning activities.

I have given much thought on her discourse: too much learner engagement?

No comments: